The Warlords of Khorne's Crossing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Warlords of Khorne's Crossing

The Warlords of Khorne's Crossing: Looking for Skulls!!

+8
James
yoda4982
Sir Robot Monkey
Mystic
Kami_Sensei
WillyT
Jampire
Gorechilde
12 posters

Why that Army?

Gorechilde
    Gorechilde

Why that Army? Empty Why that Army?

Post  Gorechilde Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:30 am

Everyone,
    Just a question...Why did you choose that army? Background, color, Random darts in a chart on the wall? Lost a bet?

I'll start...I chose Dark Angels in 2nd edition because they were in the Angels of Death codex with the Blood Angels. I orginally was going to play Blood Angels, du e to my love of Vampires. I just couldn't get the paint scheme down. Didn't have a clue to what a glaze was(still don't). My Blood Angels didn't match the White Dwarf pictures. I gave up. Notice these other marines in the codex, read up on the background, Like what I read...Never looked back. Till the Lion Sword is whole....again.

Raymond
    Jampire
    Jampire

Why that Army? Empty Re: Why that Army?

Post  Jampire Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:54 am

I've always had a thing for Space Marine (not that kind you pervs). I had Space Wolves for a few years until I started a Salamanders army after Assault on Black Reach came out last year. I was actually painting them VERY quickly until I read Storm of Iron by Graham McNeil.

Apparently this was the Chaos Gods insidious whispers into my psyche... Or maybe it was there all along...

This book was so freakin awesome that I sold the Sallies at the Bizarre Bazaar and used the money to start my beloved Iron Warriors.

Now I eat Space Marines for breakfast and crap out Guardsman for lunch...

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!
    WillyT
    WillyT

Post  WillyT Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:08 am

When I chose to follow the path of the Avenging Sons I was actually playing Tau. I had recently gotten the Imperial Armour Volume 3: The Taros Campaign, and as I was reading through I saw a few diagrams of some dreadnoughts, a thunderhawk, and a few drop pods. I loved the drop pods in Dawn of War I thought it would be a good idea. The idea sat in the back of my mind for the time because I had sold my soul to Tzeentch in exchange for the honor of Best Overall at the RTT held at GW Willowbrook in 2007 and my Thousand Sons reigned supreme. With last year's release of Codex Space Marines and the new plastic drop pods, my ideas floated back to the surface and I forsook the ways of Chaos and I came to the Emperor's light.

Side note on my color scheme... I have turquoise marines... yes, turquoise, but at the time I was going off of what I had seen in Imperial Armor and in the dagrams they looked turquoise, so that is how I went about it... One day after I had finished painting 20 tactical marines, 10 terminators and 2 dreadnoughts in my current color scheme I got bored and wanted to look up what else this chapter had done besides have their butts handed to them by the Tau on Taros and the first thing that catches my eye is:

"Armor Color: Navy Blue"

My jaw hit the floor as I sat at my desk for a few horrifying moments after which my lazy guy sense tingled a bit and I told myself "Screw it, I have already finished most of them this way, so now they are mine!"

That is the sad story of how I started a turquoise marine army... and you can make fun of it up until the point when you realize that I have had victory in my grasp from the start!

"FOR THE GLORY OF THE IMPERIUM!"
    Kami_Sensei
    Kami_Sensei

Post  Kami_Sensei Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:32 am

How i fell in to the wonderful world of Warhammer is a bit cliché'. I was hangin out at a mall with the fam one week when i happened upon a games workshop and though 'ooo a gamestop like place lets see what's new in video games today' YES i total thought this store was a gamestop. upon entering to store i realized i was wrong. very very wrong, but a good wrong. soon after one of the employees wanted to teach me to play, so he showed me the three games fantasy, 40k, and lotr. about half way though the explanation of each game i was the old battle for machrage, or what ever it was called, and thought, startcraft! i yell that one pointing at the tyranids. sense then its been nothing but love for all my little bugs.

my color scheme is the behemoth brood color scheme, but instead of a teal carapace i go with a bright venom green, also i love gloss effects and coat everything in it. mainly because everything i have in my army has venom sax.

(Zergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrushzergrush)

"MY LIFE FOR THE SWARM!"
    Mystic
    Mystic

Post  Mystic Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:31 am

Hmmm, I started out in the hobby back in 2001 right before they introduced the Tau. I bought the Boxed set that had Dark Eldar and Space Marines and immediately fixated on the Black Templars. But once I started reading the fluff (and the Tau were released), I switched sides to the Tau because I liked their backstory Very Happy.

Skip ahead to 2006 and after much painting and never playing, I decided decided to look at the Space Marines again and this time around decided I wanted to play Blood Ravens based upon their fluff from the novels and video games Very Happy.

Overall, I have been primarily RPG gaming since 83-84 and most of my choices are based around whether or not I like the backstory.
    Sir Robot Monkey
    Sir Robot Monkey

Post  Sir Robot Monkey Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:14 am

Well, I have Eldar and Orks (and Space Marines, but their still in the box, so I'm not counting them yet)and in both cases it was a combination of backstory and model aesthetics.

For the Eldar, the whole remnants of a decaying empire was fascinating to me as well as I have always like elves. Army wise, just the shear versatility and ability to field a completely different army every time appealed to me as well.

For the Orks, just the inherent humour of the race. It just seemed like a fun army. Plus, the absolute customizing possibilities.

So, WAAAGGHH.
    yoda4982
    yoda4982

Post  yoda4982 Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:24 pm

I came into the game in december, so i'm pretty new, but i absorb alot really fast and soon enough i was a full fledge Warhammerer (word?). I start with Black Templar because i loved the Sword Brethren models and their back story. I'm a huge history buff and the idea of an army influenced by the Templar Knights just caught my imagination and i ran with it.

Now i play Guard because i love military stuff and when i bought a Valkyrie i was sold.

I am getting rid of my templars (idea didn't last long) because like Raymond i was turned towards the amazing awesomeness that is the Dark Angels. I love the idea of a chapter split by civil war and that is influenced so much by Angelic Lore (I'm a huge Angelic Lore buff ask me sometime and i'll wow ya) So i began work on a Ravenwing army and a Ravenwing/Deathwing army. But i knew i was going to need a Marine army that wasn't as specilized but decided after seeing the Disciples of Caliban models and their small back story i decided it was time and have begun building the Hunters of the Fallen. I Also love lions so that is also why i have them and My White Lions high elf army (yes the one with the huge lion in it)

So thats me, thanks for understanding how much of a loser i am. Can't wait to show you guys my stuff as i finish it.
    James
    James

Post  James Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:54 pm

Right now I'm using a successor chapter of Dark Angels, the Angels of Vengeance. I originally chose the Dark Angels back in the day because dark green just happened to be one of my favorite colors. And as I read through the 2nd edition Angels of Death codex and 3rd edition Dark Angels codex I realized I liked the army more for the back story than for the color.
    heavyweponguy
    heavyweponguy

Post  heavyweponguy Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:14 pm

for me its started with hurcane ike or whatever i was in amerillo and i picked up a blood ravens omminubus the first 2 book where good but the last one was kinda bad mainly cause it gave a lot of background about what it took to become a space merine cuz in the book grable angloes reflect back to when he went through the " blood trials" or somthing like that where the chapert would finda a arena or an open area and all of the people who volentired where given a buckler and a soward and where told to fight untill the chaplen says stop. and its also talks about the creation of the space merine with the implantation of the geen seed and organs and stuff in vived detale. at that moent in time i was like hell ya imma gonna pant blood raven and play space meriens then i picked up the ultra merine omminbus i fell in love with the ultra merens and that what i use to this day GLORY tO THE EMPEROR
    Casey
    Casey

Post  Casey Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:17 am

When it came to 40k I wanted a army most people didn't play and had decent looking models. Eldar fir that perfectly, but after reading some of their lore i was hooked. I don't need enhanced soldiers to win, i just predict the future Laughing With the Demons for fantasy i enjoyed Tzeentchs lore a lot, using intelligence other brute force to win battles and i love the models in the army. The only chaos god i really rarely use is Slaanesh. Both my armies rely on tactics and intelligence over brute force which i like, i don't just smash things i think about how to smash them, then i smash them where it hurts.
    maxzilla
    maxzilla

Post  maxzilla Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Ok, lets just explain my current Marines Very Happy
    I was originaly going to do Iron Knights,
    but then i started reading alot of Viking Lore, played Too Human and listened to Amon Amarth Laughing
    I decided that i really didnt want to do Space Wolves, as there are going to be ALOT of Space Wolves in the coming months.
    SO, i decided to go with a DIY Chapter, The Harbingers of Ragnarok, and have based my Chapter after the Aesir, the more violent halve of Norse Gods. But i plan on using them as a Drop Pod force in the end.
    So far, im quite happy with them, and will post their fluff later.

_Max
    timwall816
    timwall816

Post  timwall816 Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:34 pm

i chose black templars because john and stephen convinced me of how awesome they can be when used correctly, also, i like the fluff of how angry and zealous they are. also raymond hates them, which makes me smile.
    maxzilla
    maxzilla

Post  maxzilla Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:44 pm

"I choose my armies because of thier cuddly factor."
    _GAR

Last edited by maxzilla on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : GAR wrote this while logged in as maxzilla)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:54 am